The Research Organization of Information and Systems (ROIS) is a parent organization of four national institutes (the National Institute of Polar Research, the National Institute of Informatics, the I…
Released applications for Joint Research Program, “ROIS-DS-JOINT 2020” for the F.Y. 2020. Please click the following and open the guide page.
Recruit, Events and Exhibitions
Purpose of the Polar Environment Data Science Center (PEDSC) is to promote the opening and sharing of the scientific data, obtained by the scientific observations and research activities in the Antarctic and arctic regions by the polar science research community in various fields, to strengthen the collaboration with universities and other external communities, to play a central role of the data activities in the polar science research, and to contribute to the advances of the global environmental study.
Planning phase for the PEDSC started in 2015, and a preparatory office was made in 2016. After a detailed planning for the schedule and structure of the PEDSC in the preparatory office, the PEDSC has been formally launched in 2017.
PEDSC supports such data activities as processing, analyzing, archiving, sharing, and opening of the polar science data, which are obtained by the scientific observations and research activities in the Antarctic and arctic regions in all the research fields.
PEDSC will proceed the following specific items as its activity plan.
1) To construct a unified database system to cover all the data in all the research fields of polar science.
2) To make the existing database systems (Science Database, Arctic Data archive System (ADS), Inter-university Upper atmosphere Global Observation NETwork (IUGONET)) upgraded and interoperable with each other.
3) To promote archiving, opening, and sharing of the data in each research field.
4) To promote publication of the scientific data, using the “Polar Data Journal”.
5) To promote collaboration with universities and other institutions in Japan and international communities.
6) To promote data science using the databases and database systems.